The PPAI Board of Directors met on January 10 in Las Vegas prior to the opening of The PPAI Expo 2015. Following are a few highlights from the meeting:
- Kippie Helzel, MAS, chair of the board of trustees for Promotional Products Education Foundation, provided an update on the organization’s activities and progress including the board’s approval to award 30 renewal scholarships and 77 new scholarships totaling $150,000, a $25,000 increase over 2014. Since the foundation’s inception, $1.26 million in scholarships has been awarded to deserving students. Helzel also thanked the board for its two-year commitment of in-kind support approved in January 2014.
- PPAI President and CEO Paul Bellantone, CAE, presented a review of 2014 accomplishments by department and a number of major initiatives planned for 2015. Among this year’s initiatives are the implementation of PPAI’s new Pioneer Award to be presented next January, strengthening and building relationships with international organizations, doubling the frequency of PPB Newslink to twice a week and transitioning the Product Safety Summit to a stand-alone event planned for September 28-30, 2015.
- Darel Cook, director of expositions, provided a trade-show update including a report on exhibitor sales, market conditions and expectations for the 2015 Expo.
- Anne Lardner-Stone, director of public affairs, reported on the outcome of PPAI’s participation at this year’s PSI Show in Düsseldorf, Germany, and her meetings with international organizations that took place there. She also updated the board on the progress of PPAI’s Product Safety Aware program and the education planned at Expo for those companies still needing to achieve the required four hours of product safety education.
- The board heard an update and discussed PPAI’s branding research project approved in September. Based on the findings of the perception research conducted by Tenant Partners, in conjunction with other recent buyer and end user research, staff will be developing a five-year industry branding plan for board review at its May 2015 meeting.
- Chair Mark Jenkins, MAS+, conducted the assumption of office protocol for three incoming directors—Dale T. Denham, MAS+, Norm Hullinger and Scott Hareid. He also recognized three outgoing directors for their years of board service to the organization—Cheryl Becker, MAS; Rod Brown, CAS, and Gene Geiger, MAS. In addition, outgoing Immediate Past Chair Marc Simon was approved for lifetime membership in PPAI.