Camsing Global has responded to an issue raised by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), issuing a voluntary recall for LED night-lights found to be faulty. About 10,000 of the night-lights, supplied by Corvest prior to that company’s acquisition by Camsing Global, were recalled. Only a handful of distributors were affected by the recall, and all have been contacted and supplied the necessary information.
“Corvest received the first shipment in January, and its return relating to the issue in February,” says Jason Miller, president of Camsing Global. “The protocol here in these instances is to proceed with every precaution. We placed all of the inventory on hold and when we were unable to find anything wrong in our testing, we worked with the vendor who admitted that they’d made a change in the production of one batch. The problem was isolated to this one instance, and we were able to get in front of it before it became too much of an issue.”
Upon identifying the problem, Camsing Global approached the CPSC in March to ensure the company’s voluntary recall process met regulatory requirements and went smoothly. “This affected around 17 orders and 15 unique distributors,” says Miller. “I personally called most of them myself to give our distributors a chance to get in front of the issue. It helped us stop the product getting to end users and most of it, we received back.”
The LED night-lights can overheat, smolder and melt, representing a burn risk to consumers. While there have been five reports of overheating lights, there have been no known injuries.
The affected units plug directly into electrical outlets, feature a white or blue LED bulb and a clear bulb cover. Stamped on the back of the product’s white plastic base are “Model SBD01,” “E314462” and “Made in China.” The LED night-lights were distributed as promotional products from December 2010 to March 2011. Consumers are advised by the CPSC to immediately stop using the recalled night-lights and dispose of them.