Atlantic City, New Jersey, is home to the world-famous Atlantic City Boardwalk, the iconic Absecon Lighthouse and arguably some of the country’s best saltwater taffy. This seaside resort city is also home to PROMOTIONS EAST, the largest promotional products show on the East Coast.
Last month, attendees poured into the Atlantic City Convention Center for top-of-the-line education, networking and a tradeshow floor packed with fresh product ideas. PPAI’s brand. showcase dazzled with the best in big-name incentive offerings, and it allowed distributors to meet face-to-face with factory representatives.
PPB scouted out some of the big-buzz products, and we want to know which ones topped your list. Tell us by clicking on this story at www.ppbmag.com and adding your favorites.
1. The Water Bottle Tote keeps users quenched by insulating cold beverages for up to four hours. It’s made from stain-resistant neoprene, stores flat and features a sliding clip handle.
Built NY, Inc. UPIC: Built174 212-227-2044
2. Drivers can keep their vehicle’s cup holders in pristine condition with these Absorbent Car Coasters. Each set comes with two stone coasters packaged with a blister card.
CoasterStone UPIC: 111006CS 877-540-6706
3. Get the party started with the Lighted Martini Glass. It’s made with a frosted top, sturdy plastic base and a push button to switch between a single LED color and a color-changing mode. Wine and margarita glasses are also offered.
Buztronics, Inc. UPIC: 2899 800-878-3413
4. Metal studs, a mesh back and wing design on this Lackpard 99 Cap give it undeniable retail appeal. Pick from orange or red plaid.
Otto International, Inc. UPIC: ottocap 800-826-8903
5. Modern and sporty, the adidas Mactelo Sunglasses stretch and adapt to the width of the wearer’s head, thanks to Flex Zones for maximum flexibility. Choose from standard or polarized lenses.
Ball Pro/Golf Plus UPIC: SPORTS 800-225-5818
6. The Curvy Flexi-Bottle is collapsible, foldable and equipped with a carabiner, letting users take it anywhere. Features include a push/pull drink spout and an aluminum foil coating for a flashy metallic finish.
Prime Resources Corp. UPIC: PRIME 800-873-7746
7. Offered in bold pink and classic black, the Ecco-Prene laptop sleeve protects against the bumps of everyday travels. It’s made from 100-percent recyclable foam with leather accents and touch points.
Brenthaven UPIC: BHaven 800-803-7225
8. Block out blustery weather with Stephan, a mid-weight, three-layer, soft-shell jacket that boasts a customized lining and color-block details in your client’s specific Pantone color.
Bishop Garment Company UPIC: bishop 800-797-9629
9. For a planet-friendly promotion, the Paper Mate® Earth Write™ pen is a smart selection. It’s made from a fully biodegradable material to leave a carbon footprint 22-percent smaller than conventional pens.
Sanford Business-to-Business Division UPIC: SANFORD 800-356-9466
10. Need a custom t-shirt or cap? Check out CAD-PRINTZ™ Crystal Clear Full Color Digital Transfers, which feature a soft hand and matte finish once heat is applied. They’re perfect for adding full-color logos to lightweight fabrics.
Stahls’ ID Direct UPIC: STAH0001 800-478-2457
11. Ideal for golf tournaments, the Designer Active Business Card Case includes a permanently mounted, custom ball marker. A combination of black leather and ballistic nylon, it features one exterior and two interior pockets.
Towel Specialties UPIC: TOWLSPEC 800-938-6935
Like What You See? Get Some Sales Ideas.
Pitch them for: Outdoor events, golf tournaments, charity runs, staff recognition
Out-of-the-box success story: A trade magazine, hoping to boost ad sales in its show issue and promote attendance at a House of Blues party, took on a Blues Brothers theme. Dubbing itself and its web component the “News Brothers,” it sent blues CDs and harmonicas to industry prospects, accounts and agencies. And because the Blues Brothers were never without their dark shades, magazine staffers wore sunglasses along with black hats and ties to greet attendees at the event. During the show, attendees received scratch-off cards to win prizes including sunglasses and harmonica key chains. The “News Brothers” promotion led to a 25-percent increase in advertising.
Pitch it for: Tradeshows, staff uniforms, years-of-service gifts, safety programs
Out-of-the-box success story: When a financial services company wanted to generate interest and participation in its leadership development program, the “EDGE,” it distributed promotional products at various levels of the program. A bag of M&Ms imprinted with the EDGE logo kicked off the campaign. Applicants received an EDGE hat, and those who were accepted received EDGE jackets. Upon completion, associates received EDGE backpacks. Nearly 60 associates—a record number—participated, and the company is initiating a second EDGE course.
Product: Martini glasses
Pitch it for: Grand-opening events, restaurants and bars, commemorative gifts
Out-of-the-box success story: To promote a referendum allowing the sale of mixed beverages, a restaurant association developed a logo for the campaign: the word “yes,” with the letter “y” resembling a martini glass. When patrons sat down in restaurants, they saw the logo embossed on wait-staff uniforms, matchbooks, bumper stickers and martini glasses. The clever martini logo resulted in a “yes” vote, and liquor is now served in five major cities in the state.
Want to see creative applications and case studies for other products? Click on ideasource.ppa.org to access PPAI’s web bank of more than 1,900 award-winning campaigns. PPAI members can get a one-year subscription for $99; nonmembers can subscribe for $299. Call 888-426-7724 to learn more.