“How are you today?” Nothing defines you as a telemarketer or salesperson more than that opening delivered in an obligatory, insincere way (the way 80 percent of your competition delivers it).
If you want to separate yourself from your competition and actually connect with your prospect, use any of the following after you give your name and company name.
PPAI PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
TOP SHELF TIP NO. 55
“The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.”
e. e. cummings, American poet, 1894-1962
1. “Can you hear me okay?” This is my personal favorite. This opening does a number of things:
A. It elicits a yes response
B. It gets your contact to say yes, and it gets him or her to really listen.
Not a bad way to start the call.
2. “Happy Monday!” (Or Wednesday, Thursday, etc.) You’ll get a lot of traction with this line, and it really open up your prospect.
3. “Is it raining there, too?” (Or hot, foggy, etc.) Immediately connecting with your prospect on an issue unrelated to sales gets him or her talking and takes the pressure off.
4. “I’m so glad I reached you, I need a little bit of help. Are you the person who handles XYZ?” This is a great technique because you immediately make them feel important. Works every time.
5. “How’s your day going?” This is the alternative to “How are you today,” and it only works if you are sincere and if you actually listen to how their day is going. Please, listen and respond accordingly.
These five openings will separate you from your competition when cold calling a prospect. Have some fun with these, vary them, and find the one you’re most comfortable using. But most important, use them. Believe me, your prospect will be happy you did, and so will you.
Source: Mike Brooks is a motivational speaker who has more than 20 years experience in the sales industry. He is the author of The Real Secrets of the Top 20 Percent: How To Double Your Income Selling Over The Phone. His proven techniques and strategies are used successfully by a number of companies.
Promotional Products Association International | 3125 Skyway Circle North | Irving | TX | 75038